New study on magnesium stearate in capsules - legit or big pharma spin?

CitrusClaire844September 17, 2026
C
CitrusClaire844
Sep 17, 2026, 05:26 PM

Hey all, I'm usually just a lurker but I found this study (PMID: 34567890) that says magnesium stearate in capsules might reduce absorption of certain vitamins. I'm a busy professional and I rely on gummies because I can't swallow pills, but now I'm worried. Is this study legit or is it just fearmongering? Link: [fake link]

S
SupplementSteve97
Sep 17, 2026, 07:13 PM

I work night shifts so I take a lot of supplements. I've read about magnesium stearate before and honestly, most of the studies are in vitro or animal models. Not sure how it translates to humans. Plus, the amount used in capsules is tiny. I wouldn't stress too much, but maybe wait for more research. Also, gummies don't usually have magnesium stearate anyway? So you might be fine.

Y
YogaYara150
Sep 17, 2026, 06:28 PM

Hey Claire! I'm all about natural stuff and I've been avoiding capsules for years because of fillers like magnesium stearate. But gummies are usually made with gelatin or pectin, not stearates. That study seems a bit alarmist to me. I'd say check the source - was it funded by a competing company? I always look at who paid for the study. Also, whole foods are best but we can't all be perfect. Don't panic!

P
PurePete916
Sep 17, 2026, 11:59 PM

PMID 34567890? Let me pull it up. *clicks* Okay, this is a mouse study with high doses of magnesium stearate. Not really applicable to humans taking normal supplements. Biohackers have been debating this for years. The real issue is that stearates can form a film on the gut, but again, doses matter. If you're worried, switch to gummies that use tapioca starch or something. But honestly, I think it's overblown. Keep calm and biohack on.