Elderberry gummies are basically candy — change my mind
Okay, I’m gonna say it. I grabbed a bottle of elderberry gummies because everyone swears by them for immune support, right? But the label says 3g of sugar per gummy. THREE. I might as well be eating Haribo. How is this considered a supplement and not a literal confection? I’m trying to avoid junk, not get a sugar rush. Anyone else feel like the whole gummy vitamin thing has gone too far? Convenience is one thing, but this is ridiculous.
I totally get where you're coming from, Daphne! But honestly, for me, it's about compliance. I used to choke down horse-pill elderberry capsules and I'd skip them half the time. With gummies, I actually remember to take them because they taste good. Yes, there's sugar, but I just factor it into my daily macros. Moderation is key! Have you tried the sugar-free ones? They exist but usually have sugar alcohols that can mess with your stomach. Just my two cents! 😊
Ugh, I'm with Daphne on this one. The candy-fication of wellness is a real problem. It's not just the sugar—it's the plastic waste from those cute little bottles and the fact that they're marketed like treats. And let's not ignore the environmental cost of shipping heavy glass jars full of syrup. I switched to growing my own elderberries and making a tincture. Zero sugar, zero waste, and I know exactly what's in it. More work, sure, but worth it for the planet and my body.
Honestly, as someone who cooks a lot, I just make elderberry syrup at home. You can control the sugar, use honey or maple, and it tastes way better than any gummy. Plus you can drizzle it on pancakes. But I get that not everyone has time. For me, the gummies are a last resort. The sugar content is whack though—I'd rather eat a real piece of fruit.
Rose, I admire your dedication! I tried growing elderberries once but the birds got them all, lol. Oscar, homemade syrup sounds amazing but isn't it a pain to store? I feel like gummies are just easier for travel. Maybe there's a middle ground? Like a low-sugar gummy that uses monk fruit? I'd be down to try that. But until then, I'll stick with my sugary ones and just brush my teeth extra. 🤷♀️