My 3yo ate half a bottle of gummy vitamins thinking they were candy – should I be worried??
So I left the bottle of kids' gummy vitamins on the counter after giving my daughter her morning dose. I turn around for like 2 minutes to answer the phone and when I come back she's on the floor with the bottle open, cheeks stuffed like a chipmunk. She ate probably 10-15 gummies. They're the Flintstones ones with iron. She's 3 and weighs about 30 lbs. I called poison control and they said she should be fine but to watch for vomiting. Now I'm freaking out because she keeps saying her tummy hurts. Has anyone else been through this? Should I take her to the ER? Also, why do they make these taste SO good? It's a trap for toddlers!!
Med student here, not a doctor yet, but I've done my peds rotation. If poison control said she's fine, she's probably fine. Iron toxicity is the main concern with those gummies, but the amount in kids' vitamins is usually low. However, definitely keep an eye on her. If she starts vomiting repeatedly, has bloody stool, or becomes lethargic, take her to the ER immediately. Also, save the bottle and note the time she ate them. For future, get a lockbox. Those gummies are basically candy, and kids can't tell the difference. And yes, they're designed to taste good so kids will take them – but that also means they'll eat the whole bottle if given the chance. Hope she feels better soon!
Oh dear, this brings back memories. My grandson did the same thing with his grandma's calcium gummies. She left them on the coffee table and he thought they were fruit snacks. He ate about 8 of them. We called the doctor and they said to just give him water and watch him. He was fine, just a bit of a stomach ache. But I agree with the med student – keep an eye out. Also, maybe hide them in a high cabinet? That's what we did after that scare. Kids are quick! Sending good thoughts your way.
Thanks both! She just threw up once and seems a bit tired but no other symptoms. Poison control called back to check and said to keep hydrating her. I feel like such a bad mom for leaving them out. I'm definitely getting a lockbox now. And yeah, those gummies are way too tasty. I tried one and it's like a sour patch kid. No wonder she went to town. Lesson learned the hard way. Appreciate the support!
Don't beat yourself up. It happens to almost every parent. The fact that you called poison control right away shows you're a good mom. Just keep an eye on her tonight and follow up with her pediatrician tomorrow if you're still worried. And yeah, lockbox is a good call. You can also get ones with child-resistant caps, but those aren't foolproof. Glad she's doing okay!