Help! My homemade vitamin gummies turned into a gooey mess - gelatin vs agar?
Hi all, I'm trying to make my own vitamin gummies at home using gelatin and a multivitamin powder. I followed a recipe I found online but they never set properly - they're just sticky blobs. I used 2 tbsp gelatin to 1 cup of juice. Any idea what went wrong? I'm also curious about agar agar as a vegan alternative. Thanks!
Hey Olivia, I've been making herbal gummies for years. Gelatin can be finicky - you need to bloom it first in cold liquid before heating. Also, too much vitamin powder can interfere with setting. I prefer agar agar for a vegan option, but it needs to be boiled for a few minutes to activate. Try 1 tbsp agar powder to 1 cup liquid. Good luck!
I second the agar suggestion! But be careful: agar sets firmer than gelatin, so you might get a harder texture. Also, if you're using acidic juices like orange, it can weaken the gel. I usually use a mix of water and a little honey. And yes, bloom your gelatin! That's probably why your batch failed.
Thanks for the tips! I'll try blooming the gelatin next time and maybe do a small test batch with agar. Do you think the type of vitamin powder matters? I'm using a powdered multivitamin that has some fillers. Could that be an issue?
Definitely! Fillers and anti-caking agents can prevent gelling. Try to find a pure vitamin powder or open a capsule if you have those. Also, add your vitamin powder after you've heated the liquid (but let it cool a bit) to preserve potency. Let us know how it goes!