Liquid I.V. sponsoring 2026 tour - what's your take on these 'hydration multipliers'?
Hey everyone, just saw this article: *** # LIQUID I.V. JOINS PEOPLES LEAGUE AS TITLE SPONSOR OF THE 2026 TOUR, FUELING HYDRATION AND CONTENT ACROSS FOUR EVENTS In a significant move that bridges the gap between functional beverages and... *** So Liquid I.V. is now the title sponsor of this big tour. I know they're all about those electrolyte packets you mix into water. I've tried them before but I'm not sure they're worth the hype. What do you all think? Are these actually good for you or just overpriced sugar?
As a retired nurse, I've seen a lot of fads come and go. Liquid I.V. is basically just electrolytes and sugar. If you're dehydrated from a hard workout or illness, they can help, but for everyday use? Probably unnecessary. And they're expensive! You can make your own electrolyte drink with a pinch of salt, a squeeze of lemon, and a little honey. Way cheaper and you control the ingredients. That said, if you're doing intense exercise or in extreme heat, they're convenient. Just don't think of them as a magic health potion.
I'm all about DIY! I've been making my own electrolyte mix for years. Here's my recipe: 1/4 tsp sea salt, 1/4 tsp potassium chloride (I get it online), 1/2 tsp baking soda, and a little stevia for sweetness. Mix into a quart of water. Works like a charm and costs pennies per serving. Those Liquid I.V. packets are like $1.50 each! No thanks. Plus, they have dextrose and some artificial flavors. I prefer to know exactly what's in my drink.
Interesting discussion. I did a quick literature search on electrolyte supplements. There is some evidence that they can improve hydration status compared to plain water, especially during prolonged exercise. However, the marketing often overstates benefits. The key ingredients are sodium, potassium, and sometimes magnesium. The sugar helps with absorption but adds calories. For the average person, a balanced diet provides enough electrolytes. If you're an athlete or sick, they might be beneficial. As for the sponsorship, it's just another example of a wellness brand aligning with sports to boost credibility. Not necessarily a red flag, but worth noting.
I'm not a fan of Liquid I.V. for several reasons. First, they're owned by Unilever, which isn't exactly a vegan-friendly company (they test on animals in some markets). Second, the packets are wasteful – all that plastic for a single serving. Third, they contain refined sugar and artificial flavors. If you need electrolytes, coconut water is a great natural option, or you can make your own like PlantPat suggested. I'll stick to my DIY mix and avoid supporting big corporations that prioritize profits over health and sustainability. Just my two cents.