My gummies turned white and hard – are they still safe?

MountainMike409September 10, 2026
M
MountainMike409
Sep 10, 2026, 02:29 PM

Hey everyone, I need some quick advice. I bought a bottle of liquid vitamin gummies (the ones with the liquid center) about 3 months ago. They were fine at first, but now they're all stuck together and some have these white spots on them. Also they feel really hard, not squishy like before. Did they go bad? I don't want to throw away a $25 bottle, but I also don't want to get sick. Any thoughts?

D
DewyDaphne504
Sep 10, 2026, 03:38 PM

Oh no, that sounds like sugar bloom or just moisture loss. It happens a lot with gummies, especially if you live in a humid place or don't seal the bottle tight. The white spots are usually just sugar crystals – harmless. But if they're hard as rocks, the liquid inside might have evaporated or the gelatin structure broke down. I'd say if they smell weird or taste off, toss 'em. Otherwise, they're probably safe but might not be as potent. BTW, are they a brand with added probiotics? That could change things.

B
BioBob692
Sep 10, 2026, 03:07 PM

I've had this happen with a few different brands. The sticking together is super common – just from heat and humidity. The hardness? That's usually because the gummy absorbed moisture from the air and then dried out, making them tough. As for safety, if there's no mold (green/black fuzzy stuff) and they don't smell rancid, you're likely fine. But honestly, if they're that hard, the liquid center is probably gone. You could try warming them slightly to soften, but that might mess with the vitamins. I'd just choke 'em down or chuck 'em. Not worth the risk if you're unsure.

M
MountainMike409
Sep 10, 2026, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the replies! No mold that I can see, just white speckles. They don't smell bad, kinda just like old candy. I think I'll try one and see. If I don't post again, you'll know why lol. But seriously, I'll probably just toss them to be safe. Lesson learned: keep them in a cool dark place and not on top of my yoga mat in the sun.

D
DewyDaphne504
Sep 10, 2026, 06:01 PM

Haha, yeah, the sun is the enemy! Next time, look for gummies with natural preservatives like citric acid or vitamin E. Also, keep the silica pack in the bottle – that helps with moisture. And if you're really worried, contact the manufacturer. Some will replace them if it's a quality issue. Good luck!