Magnesium gummies: my 4yo thought they were candy and now I'm hiding them in the broccoli drawer

FuelFrank818September 10, 2026
F
FuelFrank818
Sep 10, 2026, 08:56 AM

So my 4-year-old found the bottle of magnesium gummies on the counter (my bad) and ate like 5 before I caught him. He said they were 'better than fruit snacks.' Now he keeps asking for 'the purple candies' and throws a tantrum when I say no. I'm worried about overdose but also... are there any magnesium gummies that DON'T taste like candy? Maybe I need a lockbox. Anyone else deal with this?

D
DewyDaphne316
Sep 10, 2026, 09:27 AM

Yikes, 5 gummies could be a lot depending on the mg per gummy. Most magnesium gummies are like 100-200mg each, so 5 could be 500-1000mg. For a 4yo that's definitely too much. Watch for diarrhea, lethargy, or weakness. If he seems off, call poison control. But yeah, kids' magnesium supplements are notorious for looking like candy. Some brands use xylitol or mannitol which can also cause GI issues in kids. Maybe switch to a powder you mix into a smoothie? Not as fun but safer.

J
JuiceJenny299
Sep 10, 2026, 11:46 AM

Oof, been there. My 6yo called them 'mommy's special gummies' and I had to explain that they're medicine. I switched to a brand that uses natural fruit flavors but no added sugar, and they still taste pretty good but not like candy. Also, I store them in a locked box now. Eco-friendly tip: buy in glass bottles to avoid plastic, but the caps are usually child-resistant. Did you check if yours were? Some gummy vitamins have cheap caps that toddlers can pop off.

F
FuelFrank818
Sep 10, 2026, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the quick replies. He's fine so far, just a bit hyper (ironic, right?). The bottle says 100mg per gummy, so 5 = 500mg. He weighs 35 lbs. I'll keep an eye on him. DewyDaphne, I'll look into the powder option. Jenny, mine had a child-resistant cap but he's a tiny Houdini. I'm definitely getting a lockbox. Also, why do they make them taste SO good? It's a trap!

D
DewyDaphne316
Sep 10, 2026, 02:48 PM

Glad he's okay. 500mg for a 35lb kid is on the high side but usually not dangerous unless he has kidney issues. Just push fluids. And yeah, the taste is a double-edged sword. Some companies add xylitol which is toxic to dogs, so if you have pets, be careful too. For kids, I'd recommend talking to your pediatrician about dosage. Also, pro tip: put them on a high shelf behind something boring, like the taxes folder. Works for my nephew.