New study on NAC & glutathione... legit or just hype? (PMID: 12345678)

ZestZack950September 12, 2026
Z
ZestZack950
Sep 12, 2026, 12:33 PM

Hey all, saw this study pop up on my feed about NAC boosting glutathione levels in older adults. Link here: [fake link]. Abstract says it's a randomized trial but sample size is only 60. I'm kinda new to NAC but heard it's good for lung health and detox. Anyone with a science background wanna weigh in? Is this legit or just another biased supplement industry study?

U
UpliftUrsula198
Sep 12, 2026, 01:11 PM

I pulled up the PMID you mentioned. It's in a decent journal but yeah, n=60 is small. They did report a significant increase in GSH but no clinical outcomes. Also, the lead author has ties to a supplement company (disclosed). So take it with a grain of salt. NAC is generally safe, but I'd look for meta-analyses before jumping on the bandwagon.

G
GlowGigi652
Sep 12, 2026, 01:25 PM

OMG I've been taking NAC for months for my skin and energy! This study just confirms what I've been saying. But I do agree we need bigger studies. Still, I think it's worth trying. Just make sure you get a good brand, some are trash. I use [brand] and feel amazing. Not sponsored lol.

H
HolisticHolly460
Sep 12, 2026, 06:18 PM

As a retired nurse, I've seen NAC used for acetaminophen overdose and COPD. It's legit for those, but for general wellness? The evidence is mixed. That study is interesting but not conclusive. I'd say talk to your doctor before starting, especially if you're on nitroglycerin or have asthma. Also, the dosage matters. 600mg twice daily is common in studies, but more isn't always better.

U
UpliftUrsula198
Sep 12, 2026, 07:49 PM

Just to add: the study also didn't control for diet, which affects glutathione. So many confounders. I'd wait for a larger trial. But NAC is cheap and low-risk, so if you want to try it, go ahead. Just don't expect miracles.