Omega-3 for wrinkles? This article says 3 foods fight aging from within – thoughts?
# Dietary defense: How three common foods fight wrinkles and dark spots from within The pursuit of healthy, youthful skin often leads consumers to the skincare aisle, but emerging research suggests that what we eat can also play a major role. The article highlights three foods: fatty fish (like salmon), walnuts, and flaxseeds – all rich in omega-3s. It claims omega-3s can reduce inflammation, improve skin barrier, and even fade dark spots. Has anyone here tried upping their omega-3 intake for skin? I'm a CrossFit junkie and I already take fish oil for recovery, but never thought about wrinkles. Curious if you guys think this is legit or just another hype.
I've been taking a high-quality omega-3 supplement for years, mainly for joint health and heart, but I did notice my skin looks less dry and maybe a bit more even. Could be coincidental though. The article is interesting but I'd like to see more human studies. Also, not all omega-3 supplements are created equal – check for IFOS certification. That said, I'm all for adding more salmon and walnuts to my diet. They're staples in my fitness meal prep anyway.
As someone who does intermittent fasting, I'm always looking for foods that pack a nutritional punch during my eating window. I already eat walnuts and flaxseeds in my morning smoothie (after my fast, of course). I haven't noticed a huge difference in dark spots, but my skin does feel softer. Maybe it's the omega-3s? Or just better hydration? I'm skeptical about the 'fade dark spots' claim – that sounds like a stretch. But hey, if it helps overall health, why not?
From a holistic perspective, omega-3s are indeed anti-inflammatory, and inflammation is at the root of many skin issues. I recommend a combination of dietary sources and a good supplement. But don't expect miracles – skin health is also about gut health, stress, and sleep. I've had clients who saw improvements in their eczema and dryness after increasing omega-3s. For dark spots, you might need topical vitamin C and sunscreen too. The article is a good starting point, but it's not the whole puzzle. Also, make sure your fish oil is from a reputable brand and stored properly to avoid rancidity.
Thanks for the input, everyone! I'll definitely look into IFOS certification for my fish oil. @PeakPaula836, I agree about the gut-skin connection – I've been working on that too. Anyone else have personal experiences with omega-3s and skin? I'm thinking of adding a tablespoon of flaxseed to my post-workout shake.