Omega-3 gummies turned hard and sticky – still safe??
Hey all, I bought a bottle of omega-3 gummies like 5 months ago. They've been in my pantry (cool, dark). Just opened them and they're all stuck together, some are hard as rocks, and there's white stuff on them (sugar bloom?). Are they still safe to eat? Don't wanna waste $30 but also don't wanna get sick. Any advice?
Namaste, Noah. I've had similar with my flax oil caps. The sticking and hardening is usually just moisture and temperature changes. Sugar bloom is harmless. But with omega-3, oxidation is the real concern – if they smell rancid or taste off, toss them. Otherwise, they're probably fine. I'd give them a sniff test first.
Ugh, this is why I stopped buying gummies with sugar. If they've been sitting for 5 months, the oils might be rancid even if they don't smell bad. Rancid oils create free radicals – not something you want in your body. I'd say better safe than sorry. Next time, look for sugar-free omega-3 gummies with natural preservatives like vitamin E. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks Quincy and Rose. I sniffed them – they smell kinda fishy but not like super gross. I tried one and it tasted a bit stale. I think I'll just chuck them. Not worth the risk. Appreciate the help!
Good call, Noah. Health first. For future reference, keep them in the fridge after opening – helps with texture and freshness. And maybe mark the date you open them. Om shanti. 🙏