Prenatal Gummies + Coffee?? Is this combo okay or am I overthinking?
Hey everyone! So I just started taking these prenatal gummies (the ones with DHA and folate) and I usually have a cup of coffee every morning. Is it safe to take them together? I read somewhere that coffee can block iron absorption but these gummies don't have iron... also sometimes I take them with my breakfast which is usually yogurt and berries. Any advice? Thanks!!
Yo, fitness pro here. Not a doctor but I've helped my wife with her prenatals. Coffee itself won't mess with gummies much since they lack iron, but caffeine can interfere with absorption of some B vitamins if taken at the exact same time. Better to wait 30-60 mins after coffee before taking them. Also, yogurt is fine, but calcium can compete with iron if your gummy had it (it doesn't). You're good. But def ask your OB.
Ugh, gummy prenatals are usually loaded with sugar and artificial junk. I'd switch to a whole-food prenatal if I were you. That said, coffee + gummies? Probably fine, but why risk it? I take mine with water and a slice of orange for vitamin C absorption. Skip the coffee altogether, it's not good for baby anyway. Just my two cents.
I do intermittent fasting and take my prenatal gummies during my eating window, usually with a meal. Coffee black during fast doesn't break the fast but I wait until I eat to take them. If you're having coffee with cream/sugar that's different. Honestly, the timing isn't a huge deal for gummies since they're more forgiving than pills. But yeah, don't overthink it. Just be consistent.
Thanks everyone! DynamicDan786, that's super helpful. I'll try to space out the coffee and gummies. OrganicOlivia969, I'll look into whole-food options but these were the only ones that didn't make me nauseous. ZestZack463, good to know about the fasting window. I'll just keep it simple and take them with breakfast after my coffee. Appreciate the replies!