Sleep gummies changed color and got hard—still safe to eat?

DreamyDanaSeptember 17, 2026
D
DreamyDana
Sep 17, 2026, 05:37 PM

So I bought a bottle of sleep gummies (melatonin + L-theanine) like 4 months ago. They were soft and purple. Now they're hard, darker, and some are stuck together. There's also this white powdery stuff on them. Are they still safe? I don't wanna waste them but also don't wanna die lol. Help!

A
AlphaAdam
Sep 17, 2026, 06:25 PM

Hey Dana. That white powdery stuff is likely sugar bloom or stearic acid bloom—basically the ingredients separating. It's usually harmless, but the hardening and color change could mean moisture got in. If they smell off or have mold, toss 'em. Otherwise, they're probably just less potent. But I'm not a doctor, so if in doubt, throw them out.

O
OrganicOlivia60
Sep 17, 2026, 07:15 PM

I've seen this before. Gummies are prone to absorbing moisture, which makes them sticky, and then drying out makes them hard. The color change is often oxidation. Check the expiration date. If it's past, I'd personally not risk it. Also, melatonin can degrade over time. You might not get the same effect. When in doubt, compost them!

R
RhinoRich531
Sep 17, 2026, 09:19 PM

Dude, I've eaten gummies that were like 2 years old and rock hard. I'm still here. But they tasted like chalk. Honestly, if they're that old, just buy new ones. Not worth the stomach ache. Also, pro tip: keep them in the fridge to prevent sticking.

U
UrbanUma278
Sep 17, 2026, 09:29 PM

I had a similar thing with my sleep gummies. They got all clumpy and weird. I took them anyway and they didn't work at all. Waste of money. Now I just buy smaller bottles so I finish them before they go bad. If you're worried, call the manufacturer or check their website for storage tips. But yeah, don't eat weird science experiments.