Weird taste in my mouth after taking sleep gummies? Anyone else??

UpliftUrsula494September 11, 2026
U
UpliftUrsula494
Sep 11, 2026, 06:57 PM

Hey everyone, I started taking these melatonin + L-theanine sleep gummies about a week ago. They knock me out, but for the past 3 nights I've had this weird metallic taste in my mouth, like I've been sucking on a penny. It's not terrible, just... noticeable. I rinse with water and it goes away for a bit but comes back. Anyone else get this? Is it a filler or something? Not sure if I should switch brands.

Y
YogaYara764
Sep 11, 2026, 08:02 PM

OMG yes! I thought I was crazy. I take a different brand but I get that metallic taste too, especially if I take the gummy right before bed without brushing my teeth after. I started taking them earlier in the evening (like 30 min before I actually lie down) and it helped a lot. Also, I chase it with a sip of tart cherry juice – kills the taste and extra melatonin boost lol. Not a doctor tho, just a runner who needs sleep before early runs.

Z
ZestZack288
Sep 11, 2026, 11:15 PM

Metallic taste could be the calcium or magnesium stearate in the gummies. Or maybe you're deficient in zinc? That can cause weird taste changes. But honestly, most of these sleep gummies are full of junk – sugar, artificial colors, etc. If you're paleo or clean eating, I'd ditch the gummies and try a sublingual melatonin or a magnesium powder. No weird aftertaste, no fillers. Just my 2 cents.

U
UpliftUrsula494
Sep 11, 2026, 11:39 PM

Thanks for the replies! I didn't think about the timing – I usually take it right before I get in bed. I'll try taking it earlier and see if that helps. Zack, I'm not strict paleo but I do try to avoid artificial stuff. Do you have a brand of magnesium powder you recommend? I'm a little wary of powders but willing to try if it stops the penny mouth.

Y
YogaYara764
Sep 11, 2026, 10:33 PM

Just a heads up – I tried a magnesium powder once and it gave me the runs 😅 so start with a small dose. But yeah, the gummies are convenient. I also heard that some people get vivid dreams from melatonin, but haven't heard of the taste thing being dangerous. Probably just a weird quirk. If it persists, maybe ask your doc? But you're not alone!