Are softgels just candy now? The sugar in these things is out of control

SolarSam170September 12, 2026
S
SolarSam170
Sep 12, 2026, 11:03 AM

Okay, am I the only one who's noticed that softgels are basically gummy bears with a health label? I picked up a bottle of 'immune support' softgels the other day and looked at the back—4g of sugar per serving! That's like eating a teaspoon of sugar for a 'supplement.' I'm on keto so I'm super careful about this stuff, but even if I wasn't, why does a vitamin need to be sweet? It's supposed to be medicine, not dessert. The candy-fication of supplements is real and it's messing with people who are trying to actually be healthy. Anyone else frustrated by this?

W
WellnessWendy913
Sep 12, 2026, 12:19 PM

I get where you're coming from, but as a mom of two toddlers who barely sleeps, I'll take what I can get. My kids won't touch a pill, but they'll happily chew a gummy or softgel. So yeah, there's sugar, but at least they're getting their vitamin D and zinc. I used to be all about purity too, but convenience wins when you're running on 3 hours of sleep. That said, 4g is a lot—I try to find the low-sugar ones for myself. Have you tried the ones sweetened with stevia? They're not perfect but better.

K
KaleKen217
Sep 12, 2026, 02:05 PM

This is a super important convo. From a wellness influencer perspective, I've seen the shift toward 'candy-fied' supplements big time. It's driven by taste and compliance, but it's a double-edged sword. On one hand, more people take them; on the other, they're getting a sugar spike that can negate some benefits. I always tell my followers to read labels and look for third-party testing. But let's be real—sometimes a little sugar is worth it if it means you actually take your vitamins. Balance, people. That said, I'm with SolarSam on calling out the excessive ones. 4g is not necessary.

S
SolarSam170
Sep 12, 2026, 12:33 PM

Wendy, I hear you on the kids thing—I'm not saying all sugar is evil, but for adults who can swallow a pill, why not go for capsules? I've switched to capsule form for most things and just deal with the taste. KaleKen, you're right about compliance, but I feel like the industry is using that as an excuse to add more sugar and make them addictive. It's like Big Food all over again. And stevia? Not a fan of the aftertaste, but I'll take it over corn syrup any day. Just wish there were more options without any sweetener at all.

W
WellnessWendy913
Sep 12, 2026, 03:27 PM

Totally fair, Sam. I guess it's about personal choice. For me, the trade-off is worth it right now. But I do wish there were more sugar-free gummy options that actually taste decent. The ones I've tried are chalky. Maybe we need a middle ground—low sugar, good taste. Until then, I'll keep buying the ones my kids will actually eat and supplement with a separate capsule for myself when I remember. 😂