Softgels and lipid formulations - game changer or just hype?

VibeVitamins615September 17, 2026
V
VibeVitamins615
Sep 17, 2026, 11:06 AM

Just came across this article: 'Lipid formulations in softgels – enhancing bioavailability and therapeutic efficacy'. Basically says that dissolving stuff in lipids (like oils) in softgels can make nutrients way more absorbable. As a keto believer, I'm all about high fat, so this seems like a no-brainer. But is it actually legit or just marketing? What do you guys think?

N
NectarNina538
Sep 17, 2026, 12:09 PM

Interesting! I'm paleo, so I try to get nutrients from whole foods, but I do take a few supplements. I've always wondered if softgels are better than tablets. The article mentions lipid formulations, but aren't most softgels already oil-based? Like fish oil? So is this just saying 'fat helps absorb fat-soluble vitamins'? That's not new. But maybe they've got new tech? I'd like to see the actual study.

R
RhinoRich630
Sep 17, 2026, 12:58 PM

As a busy professional, I don't have time to research every supplement. I just want something that works. I take a multivitamin softgel because it's easy to swallow. If this lipid stuff means I actually absorb more of what I'm taking, I'm all for it. But how do I know which brands use it? The article is kinda vague. Anyone got a TL;DR?

V
VibeVitamins615
Sep 17, 2026, 12:24 PM

Yeah, @RhinoRich630, I feel you. From what I gathered, it's about using specific lipids (like medium-chain triglycerides) to encapsulate nutrients so they bypass first-pass metabolism or something. Could be huge for things like curcumin or CoQ10 that are poorly absorbed. But I'm no scientist. Maybe @NectarNina538 can dig up the study? I'm too busy chugging MCT oil lol.

N
NectarNina538
Sep 17, 2026, 03:58 PM

I actually found the study link in the article. It's a review, not a new trial. So it's summarizing existing research. Seems like lipid-based delivery can improve bioavailability for certain compounds, but it depends on the nutrient and the formulation. Not all softgels are created equal. Some might just be oil, others use self-emulsifying systems. So, it's promising but not a magic bullet. I'll stick to my whole foods mostly, but maybe I'll look for softgels with MCTs for my vitamin D.