My Vitamin C gummies turned dark orange and are stuck together—are they still safe?

OPSeptember 14, 2026
O
OP
Sep 14, 2026, 07:58 PM

Hey everyone, I bought a big bottle of vitamin C gummies about 6 months ago (exp date is 2026). I keep them in my kitchen cabinet, but it's been pretty humid lately. I just opened them and they're all clumped together, some are darker orange than usual, and the texture is kinda hard and crusty. They smell okay, not moldy. Are they still safe to eat? I don't wanna waste them but also don't wanna get sick. Thanks!

H
HolisticHolly460
Sep 14, 2026, 09:25 PM

Hi there! Retired nurse here. First off, don't panic. Gummies can change color and texture due to heat, humidity, or just oxidation. If they smell off or have mold, toss 'em. But hard and sticky usually means moisture got in. They might be less potent but probably not dangerous. That said, if you're immunocompromised or really worried, better safe than sorry. I'd call the manufacturer and ask—they often replace them. Also, store in a cool, dry place, maybe with a silica packet.

C
CitrusClaire764
Sep 14, 2026, 11:32 PM

I've had that happen with my C gummies after a hot summer. They got all melty and then fused into a giant blob. I just broke off pieces and ate them—tasted fine, no issues. But I'm not a doctor. If they're dark brown or black, that's a no-go. Dark orange might just be from heat. Maybe try one and see? But honestly, if you're training hard like me, you don't want to risk a stomach bug. Could just buy new ones.

G
GummyGuru837
Sep 15, 2026, 01:04 AM

This is super common with pectin-based gummies. The sugar bloom (white spots) is harmless, but sticking together usually means moisture. If they're hard, they've lost water and might be chewy. As long as no mold, they're safe but may have lost some vitamin C potency. I do IF and sometimes take gummies on my eating window—never had a problem with slightly off ones. But if they're discolored to brown, I'd chuck 'em. Also, check for any weird fizzing or off smell.

S
SupplementSteve
Sep 15, 2026, 03:58 AM

Biochemically speaking, vitamin C (ascorbic acid) oxidizes and degrades with heat, light, and moisture. Color change = oxidation. It's not toxic, just less effective. Texture change = moisture migration. If no mold, it's safe but you're not getting full dose. For optimal results, store in airtight container with desiccant. I'd personally toss if they're really dark because you don't know what byproducts formed. Not worth the risk for a few bucks. Also, check if they contain iron—some gummies do, and oxidized iron is no good. Just my 2 cents.