Traveling with Emergen-C gummies – will they melt in my suitcase? TSA ok?
Hey all! I'm going on a road trip + hiking in Arizona next month (super hot!) and I want to bring my Emergen-C 750mg gummies for immunity. But I'm worried they'll melt into a sticky mess in the car or my backpack. Also flying out first – does TSA care about gummies? Any tips for keeping them cool? Thanks! 🙏
Mine melted last summer in my glovebox – total disaster. Now I freeze them overnight before travel and put them in a small cooler bag with an ice pack. Works great for road trips. As for TSA, they're fine in carry-on as long as they're not liquid. I just leave them in the original bottle. But honestly, if you're worried about sugar, maybe switch to capsules? Gummies have sugar and can get gross when warm. Just my 2 cents.
TSA is chill with gummies – I've brought them through security multiple times. They might swab the bottle for explosives, but that's it. For heat, I use a small insulated tech pouch (meant for hard drives) with a silica gel pack. Keeps them from getting sticky. Also, if you're hiking, put them in a zip-lock and squeeze out air – less oxidation. But yeah, they can melt above 80°F, so don't leave them in a hot car.
Thanks! The cooler bag + ice pack idea sounds good. I'll try freezing them first. And good to know TSA is fine. I'll just keep them in my carry-on. One more thing – do they lose potency if they melt? I might just bring a few in a small container for the day and leave the rest at the hotel.
Potency might degrade a bit if they melt and re-solidify, but it's mostly texture that suffers. If you're worried, portion them out. Also, check the label – some gummies have gelatin, so they're not vegan. But you probably knew that. Safe travels!